Sunday, October 26, 2008

Could It Be the Surplus Estrogen in the House?

My wife went to Chicago for the weekend, so Hailey and I have been spending some quality time together. It's been pretty easy watching her, actually. She is such a happy baby, and she loves playing games with her daddy.


I've noticed recently that becoming a father has made me much more emotional. Not that I was made of granite before, mind you, but now the world has taken on new meaning to me. I find myself tearing up to certain songs and movies that never bothered me before.

For example, George Strait has a song called "I Saw God Today" about the birth of his baby girl.


The last verse says:

I got my face pressed up against the nursery glass
She's sleeping like a rock
My name on her wrist wearing tiny pink socks
She's got my nose, she's got her mama's eyes
My brand new baby girl
She's a miracle
I saw God today

By the time George gets to "miracle" I have a lump in my throat. Every. Single. Time.

Or take for example the song "Still Fighting It" by Ben Folds, a song to his son about how much it hurts to grow up. A bit more depressing, but still beautiful. One verse says:

We're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
You'll try and try and one day you'll fly
Away from me.

The idea of Hailey "flying away" from me is a tough pill to swallow. Oh, sure, I've got about 17 more years to enjoy her being in the house, but still...someday.

Is this normal? Do most new parents go through this? Or is it just from the lack of sleep, or in my case, the surplus of estrogen in the house?

Anyway, I am off to watch some football to reclaim my manhood. Maybe I will change my oil or shoot something afterward.

No comments: