Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Waiting is the Hardest Part

As of this writing, our little girl is ten days late. She was due December 16, but apparently she wasn't interested in arriving before Christmas. Which reminds me - if anyone would like a good deal on some newborn "Christmas" clothes, send me an email! Being the frugal one of the house, I suggested we turn them into bibs - or possibly a cape - once the baby arrives, but my wife, Traci, didn't seem to like that suggestion.

Despite her tardiness, all signs are pointing to a healthy baby. The heart rate, activity, fluid levels, etc. all look positive. My wife and I are going to use The Bradley Method of natural childbirth. so we want to avoid induction for as long as possible. In a nutshell, The Bradley Method teaches nutrition, exercises and stretching in order to minimize the pain of childbirth. The ultimate goal is to have a drug-free birthing process. We took a 12-week course to prepare ourselves for the big day.

Since we were going the natural route, we wanted to avoid an induction. However, when my wife was more than a week overdue, we took the doctor's advice and scheduled an induction for this Friday, December 28. With any luck the baby will come on her own before then.

Both Traci and I are anxious for the baby to arrive. the nursery is finished, the closet is well-stocked with toys and clothes, the books have been read, the videos have been watched, the showers have been held...at this point we are as ready as we will ever be. As Tom Petty once said, the waiting is the hardest part.

I am asking all of our friends and family to pray for Traci to have quick and uneventful child birth. You can also pray for me, if you like, since I will soon be outnumbered by females in the house 3-1. Yes, I am counting the dog.

No comments: